Monday, September 14, 2015

What Cancer Has Done to My Family

Cancer has taken a wife from her husband of 34 years. 
Cancer has taken a mother from her three children. 
Cancer has taken a grandma from her five grandchildren. 
Cancer has caused a mother not to be with her daughter on her wedding day. 
Cancer took my mom on my daughter's 9th birthday. 
Cancer took my best friend. 
Cancer has made me afraid for my phone to ring because I was scared to get "the call." 
Cancer has made me afraid to go places and do things. 
Cancer brought out the worst in me. 
Cancer made me take out my hurt and pain on my husband and kids. 

But.....

Cancer has allowed a mother to hold her baby for the first time. 
Cancer has allowed a grandma to hold my baby for the first time. 
Cancer has shown me true love in my dad's care for my mom. 
Cancer has made me realize what a true gift every minute is. 
Cancer has shown me how much kindness truly exists. 
Cancer has shown me what an impact one person can have on so many lives. 
Cancer has brought out the best in me. 
Cancer has brought me closer to my family. 
Cancer has taught my children, and myself,  not to be afraid of death. 
Cancer made me stronger than I ever thought I could be. 

2 comments:

Erin said...

This is beautiful Lexie. I've been thinking about you a lot this week. I hope you are all doing ok.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to express yourself, Lexie! Cancer takes away but I love how you've pointed out what you've learned from cancer as well. You are a woman full of gratitude no matter what life deals you. I love how your Mom instructed you that even if you didn't feel like eating, those grandchildren had to be fed!!